The zipper on Ashland’s favorite back pack broke. It was a stuffed black bear with zipper on the back of it’s head with straps on so that he can “wear” it on his back. I contemplated quite long moments what to do about it — I didn’t think that I can really donate it because it is broken, but I didn’t feel right about putting it in trash either seeing that the bear was still in reasonably good condition. Fixing it though, I knew would take some serious effort. When I thought about the how much it would cost to simply replace with new one, and contemplated my hourly worth in $s, it didn’t make much sense for me bother fixing it. But I was annoyed with myself for even thinking this for a moment — I’m appalled by our ‘everything disposable’ culture, and I don’t want to be a hypocrite. Especially when the kids are watching (ha!) because I believe in leading by example.
After a big long sigh, I rummaged through my craft supplies and found a perfect size zipper replacement (it’s light brown and not black, but hey, it could have been worse). And I ripped apart the broken zipper off the bear’s head, ripped the inside seam of the pouch lining (so that I can sew on the zipper inside out) and installed the new zipper. Now, when I say “installed the new zipper”, this is the bit that took quite a lot of determination because it required me to work with very fuzzy material lined with flimsy cotton which has been stuffed full with fluff and I had to stitch all this up by hand in small back-stitches (for durability) from a very small opening (kinda like real surgery, I tried to keep the “incision” as small as possible in a entirely discrete location).
I am pleased to have successfully completed the trickiest zipper installation I’ve ever done. I hope Ashland will be happy to have his bear back. And hopefully he will grow up to be a responsible person who can contemplate 1)fix, 2)re-purpose, 3) re-use, 4)donate, 5)recycle before chucking items into trash bin.